Cairns Sexual Assault Service
PDF of brochure
To read or print PDF Full Text, a pdf reader like Adobe Reader must be installed on the computer.
What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault can refer to any unwanted sexual behaviour that makes a person feel uncomfortable, frightened or threatened.
A sexual act may be considered sexual assault or sexual abuse if:
- you have not agreed to it
- you agreed only because of intimidation or coercion
- you were unable to agree because you were intoxicated (or for any other reason where consent was not possible)
- an adult has sexual contact with a child
If you have experienced sexual assault or sexual abuse at any time in your life you are not to blame.
The Family Planning Queensland (FPQ) Cairns Sexual Assault Service (CSAS) is a free and confidential service.
- face to face counselling
- telephone counselling
- therapeutic groups
- information and referral
- support during police and legal processes (you do not need to be accessing counselling to access this support)
- information and support for parents/carers, spouses, family and friends of adults and children who have experienced sexual assault or abuse
- training and resources for other workers who have contact with women and children who have experienced sexual assault or abuse
- community education
- medical care, including pregnancy testing and emergency contraception
- outreach for children and young people who may find it difficult to attend the service
Who do we support?
24 hour crisis support* is provided to:
- anyone aged 14 years and older who has experienced a recent sexual assault
Ongoing support is provided to:
- those who have experienced sexual abuse or recent sexual assault
- children who have been sexually abused
- non offending family members, carers, friends and support people of victims/survivors
This is a free and confidential service.
You may call and remain anonymous.
The service will also accept reverse charge calls or can call you back.
Telephone (07) 4031 3590
People can feel many different ways following sexual abuse or sexual assault.
Counselling can be an opportunity to explore that and to explore new skills that may make a difference to your life.
Counselling is an opportunity for you to talk.
You can talk to us at a one-off session to address a particular concern, or for extended visits.
You decide what is right for you and what is discussed in the counselling session.
What you discuss with your counsellor is kept confidential and private.
Family Planning Queensland Cairns Sexual Assault Service (CSAS)
(follow links to Sexual Assault Service info)
Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Referral line
(operating hours 7.30am-11.30pm)
Phone: 1800 010 120
Victim/survivors of recent sexual assault, contact:
Queensland Police Service
(follow links to adult sexual assault for information on legal options and processes)
Cairns Base Hospital Emergency Department
Phone: (07) 4050 6304
Both of these services will connect you with a 24 hour on call worker from CSAS.
Other useful contacts:
Phone: 1800 55 1800
Domestic Violence Telephone Service
Phone: 1800 811 811
North Queensland Women's Legal Service
Phone: 1800 244 504
1800Respect Physical or Sexual Violence 24/7 Service
Phone: 1800 737 732
Victims Assist Queensland
Phone: 1300 546 587
Phone: 1300 301 300
Family Planning Queensland (FPQ) has taken every care to ensure that the information contained in this publication is accurate and up-to-date at the time of being published. As information and knowledge is constantly changing, readers are strongly advised to confirm that the information complies with present research, legislation and policy guidelines. FPQ accepts no responsibility for difficulties that may arise as a result of an individual acting on the advice and recommendations it contains.
© Family Planning Queensland
Version 3 / September 2011
Services are supported by funding contributed by the Queensland Government